Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Blob 1 and Space Junk

Last Wednesday, I started having pains in my right side. I wasn't too worried about it, as it was the same kind of pain I get from cysts. I called the nurse up to see what she thought. She wanted me to come in right away to make sure it wasn't ectopic. The concern with an ectopic pregnancy is that if the egg tries to implant in the fallopian tubes, once it grows too big it can blow out the tube, and you lose the tube in that side. Which, isn't a good thing. You could also bleed out and die. So it was fine for the nurse to want to act quickly. I just wish she had been....calmer.
On the drive there, I had to mentally tell myself that if it was ectopic, or failed, that I would be okay. That whatever happened was out of my control, and life would go on. I got there, and they did another (yay!) vaginal ultrasound. And the fallopian tubes looked good. The scanned my ovaries, and found (surprise!) a giant burst cyst. The cause of the pain. So, no harm, no foul. They looked at the uterus, and were able to find the little bean, attached to the side wall, it's heartbeat flickering off and on like an tired Christmas light. So, all is good there. The blob is where it is supposed to be, and is alive and well.

Then the tech started scanning (read: digging around with the wand) around, trying to get other views. She started getting very excited, and called the doctor in. They talked crazy doctor talk that I only vaguely understood. I asked what was going on. Well, it appeared there were a few....other things in the uterus. What kinds of things? Well, they could be a blighted ovum, another embryo that started to grow and then stopped, or sloughed off tissue. Or, it could be two other babies.
Gulp.
Up until this point, I had accepted that having twins was a real possibility, and we were okay with that. I really hadn't thought about triplets, probably because my RE told me it wasn't likely. I now interpret that statement to mean "a little likely". But, he assured me, that whatever is floating around in there is fine, and isn't going to hurt anything. He scheduled me for another ultrasound in a week so we could get a definite head count.

So, that ultrasound is tomorrow. I'm trying to not think about it. And for right now, I'm just referring to them as Blob 1 and space junk. So, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

*Blob one. Space junk not shown.

No comments:

Post a Comment